Sunday, November 25, 2007

The Calm before the storm -

When I was younger I worked a summer camp right on the Lake Erie coast. It was a wonderful experience, I made lot of great friends, met my wife and had a ton of fun. That being said, what I loved most about those summers were the thunderstorms. Sometimes they would roll in fast, and other times they would slowly approach over the water, and it might even be a couple of days before the storm would hit. But as the storms approached the sky would darken, the air would change, and right before the wind picked up there would be stillness, dark stillness. Hours before the rain came you new it was coming. When we felt a storm coming we would scurry around trying to figure out what to do with the campers, make sure all the windows were closed and just make sure we were prepared for the inevitable. The storms were often beautiful displays of thunder and lightning and cloud formations, but if we weren't prepared for them they would become chaotic times with angry kids floating around looking for things to do. The calm before the storm although annoying at times allowed us to prepare for what was to come.

All this to say, I am in that calm before the storm. I can see great things in front of me, but God is pulling back the reigns and making sure I am prepared for it. He is changing my mind and my behaviors to be more like his and he is challenging me on things I didn't even know I needed to change. He has been continually reassuring me that something special is going to happen, but he won't let me get there until the time is right, or should I say his time is right.

For a self diagnosed guy with adult ADHD I find this to be a terribly frustrating period as I am continually hit with self doubt and concerns. I am bombarded with issues that I would have never dreamed would be issues. I am thankful in this time of waiting for friends and family who are much wiser then me. Friends who are there to help me work through my frustrations and help me realize the vision God has placed on my mind.

So in these times I can only pray, pray for discernment of when I need to push a head and when I need to rest. Pray that I don't allow my fears and unconscious world view to stop me from doing what I know God wants me to do.

Peace,

No comments: